I love framing photos and displaying them throughout my house, but sometimes I want them to stand out a little better or fit into a certain frame. I've purchased custom picture mats before, but it's super easy to make your own, and you can even use your favourite scrapbook paper for a more custom finish! Scrapbook paper is great for photo projects because it is acid free... so you don't have to worry about it ruining your images! Here's how to create a super quick and incredibly easy photo mat to spice up your wall art!
1. Take the glass out of the frame you wish to use. Place it on your scrapbooking paper or photo mat and trace along the edges.
2. Cut your paper to size using a blade or rotary cutter. It should be the same size as the glass.
3. Flip your paper over and place your photo in the center. Measure from the edge of the paper to the edge of your photo. The measurement should be equal on both adjacent sides. I suggest measuring slightly larger so that when you place your photo in the mat, you don't have to line it up absolutely perfectly with the edges of the mat. I ended up measuring 1.5" on each side.
4. Draw your measurement lines on the backside of the paper.
5. Using a thick ruler or the edge of a book as a guide, cut along your guidelines being extra careful not to cut past where the corners meet.
6. Your center area can be saved for another project!
7. Finally, grab your photo, line it up, flip it over and tape the corners to the mat.
8. Finish framing your photo, and you're done! If you want a mat with more depth, try using a thicker mat or foam board, and angling the blade slightly for a beveled look.
There you go! A photo is instantly transformed and can be displayed proudly in your home!
Psst... Some of my premade Blogger templates are still on sale today!