I’ve been battling an annoying head cold for the past few days and thought that since it is the season for falling ill, I’d put together a little list of some of the “superfoods” I consume while under the weather. I normally fight off oncoming colds as soon as I start to feel them with Echinacea, but this time these germs were a little more stubborn and caught me! I fully blame my man for passing this on to me, and will note that my attempts at following him around with a container of Lysol disinfectant wipes did absolutely nothing. Here we go!
1. Citrus. Obvious but important. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which can help reduce your cold symptoms by 23%.
2. Chicken Noodle Soup. Good old chicken noodle soup! I don’t know what it is about this stuff, but doesn’t it just make you feel so much better when you’re sick… in a comforting way? It provides much needed fluids and helps thin and clear mucus too!
3. Garlic. You can add garlic to whatever you’re cooking up. It helps to unclog your sinuses and is a potent antioxidant.
4. Green Tea. I’d actually take any tea when I’m sick, but green tea is said to be top notch. Tea helps sooth a sore throat and provides much needed liquids. Green tea is packed with antioxidants as well and helps fight flu symptoms.
5. Honey. If you’ve ever had a sore throat and eaten a spoonful of honey you’ll know how awesome it feels as it coats your throat on the way down. Did you also know that it helps fight infections? Apparently buckwheat honey is the best for its antioxidant properties.
6. Yogurt. It contains bacteria, but the good kind. The kind you need to knock out those bad bacteria from your system! Organic is best and look for the ones that contain Lactobacillus reuteri.
7. Cayenne Pepper. If your nose is clogged, try mixing a bit of this potent spice into your food. I promise, your sinuses will open right up. I absolutely cannot handle any amount of spice (even too much black pepper turns my tongue to fire) but am sometimes willing to give in if I need to.
Finally, of course drink lots and lots of water. What are some of your favourite things to eat when you’re sick?
» Need blog topic ideas? Check out 365 Blog Topic Ideas on Amazon!