Neutral eye shadow is perfect for everyday wear and looks great on every eye colour. I like to kick up the neutral look with a little bit of a smokey eye to take a basic no-makeup vibe to a more glam one.
Paired with my perfect everyday brow routine, this look is super versatile and can be played up or down.
This just so happens to be my everyday neutral eyeshadow… Some like to call it a “neutral smokey eye”.
Want it more intense? Add a little more dark brown or black to the crease and lower lid and pop on some falsies.
How to create a neutral smokey eye
Before you begin, you will need a few products. Matte brown eye shadow being key! If you use any shimmery shadows, the look will take on more of an evening appearance. Keep it flat and matte for daytime light!
Brow bone: Everyday Minerals eyeshadow in Bundled Up [similar here – in “Soul”]
Ivory base: Too Faced “In The Buff” from the Naked Eye palette
Brown shadow: Rock & Republic eyeshadow in Tribal [similar here – in “Buck”]
Eyeliner: Rimmel Soft Kohl eyeliner in Black
Mascara: Rimmel Extra WOW Lash in Extra Black
Step by step smokey brown eye shadow
- Various eye shadow brushes and blending brush
- Ivory and/or white matte eye shadow
- Medium shade matte brown eye shadow
- Black kohl eye liner pencil
- Eyelash curler
- Fill your entire upper lid with an ivory base.
- Highlight your brow bone with matte white eye shadow
- Brush matte brown onto outer lid
- Sweep the same shade over your crease with a crease brush
- With a blending brush, blend out the edges softly
- With a smaller brush, apply the same matte brown under the eye
- Curl your lashes with a lash curler
- Apply black kohl eyeliner to the top, creating a slight wing
- Apply the same liner to your lower waterline
- Add mascara to your top and bottom lashes
Update! Check out my first video tutorial for a similar step by step of an everyday smokey eye look:
More makeup tutorials:
Smokey Eye Summer Moss Makeup Tutorial
9 Step Smokey Eyes
Bronzed Beauty: Golden Smokey Eye Tutorial
Probably the Easiest DIY Lip Gloss Ever
Green Is Good
Glam Pink Date Makeup
Golden Sunrise: Burgundy and Gold Makeup Tutorial
Last Updated on